Bloodless Medicine & Surgery
DCH Bloodless Medicine & Surgery (BMS) is a special service from the DCH Health System
for Jehovah's Witnesses. DCH Regional Medical Center
was the first hospital in Alabama and one of a few in the Southeast with a program dedicated to providing quality care without using blood transfusions. The BMS program is also available at Northport Medical Center
A full range of outpatient services is available through the DCH Health System
. Both the Phelps Outpatient Center at DCH Regional Medical Center
and the Outpatient Pavilion at Northport Medical Center
offer laboratory testing, advanced imaging, same-day surgery and physical and occupational therapy.
DCH Bloodless Medicine & Surgery staff includes can help patients with physician referrals, assistance with outpatient services, scheduling and DCH Guest Room reservations.
Modern Medical Technology at DCH
To meet the challenges of Bloodless Medicine & Surgery, DCH depends on its skilled medical and professional staff, as well as its modern medical technology. The following medical technology helps limit the loss of blood:
- Cell Saver - Processes blood lost during surgery to be returned to the patient.
- Skin Monitor - Tracks blood oxygen levels without drawing blood.
- Volume Expanders - Intravenous fluids that enhance the circulation of the patient's own blood during surgery.
- Synthetic Erythropoietin - Stimulates bone marrow to produce red blood cells.
- Lasers - Lasers, including KTP and YAG, can be used for surgery. Lasers seal the tissue as they cut, which reduces the loss of blood.
For information about the program, call the BMS office at 1-800-266-4324
, Monday through Friday,
8:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m. After hours, call 205-759-7111
, and the on-call coordinator will be paged. You can also e-mail the BMS staff at firstname.lastname@example.org